From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 94 17:10:00 UTC

Johan,
 
> The two best known rendering accelerators for Lightwave are probably
> Deskstation's RaptorPlus and RaptorII and Carrera's Cobra AXP 275.
 
> I would like to hear from people who are using these systems what they
> think about them.
 
I have been using a RaptorPlus for a few weeks now. The speed is
incredible, and I have had no problems with it yet. The only surprise
was that I had to add a second ethernet card to keep that Amiga on
the network, as the system would not function when the Raptor was
hung off the network connection. The longest render time so far was
for slightly over 3000 seconds (these frames were taking over 40
hours on the 4000), but on average the time for rendering seems to be
somewhere between 100 and 300 seconds (60,000+ polys/points, 8-10
lights, procedural & bitmap textures, bumpmapping, medium
antialiasing - threshold 8, full raytraced lights - shadows/reflections/
refractions, field rendering.) Can't wait to be able to add the other
6 CPUs.

RDM
 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
NewIcons - Now with color-safe bleach.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------